Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Bewitching Power of Sunday

Today, it’s raining. A lot.

It’s the type of constant drizzle that you just stare at and by the time you look away, hours have passed and you realize you’ve been in a blurry-landscape, crying-window-pane-induced state of comatose. You blame this on the reason you never changed out of your pajamas because suddenly, nothing else mattered but watching the rain.

This is how I spent the morning. Only add coffee and Pride & Prejudice.

Eventually, I pulled myself away long enough to peruse my modest, Goodwill funded record collection and find Nat King Cole’s “Nature Boy/Greatest Hits.” There’s something about Nat King Cole that just makes me feel nostalgic. And I can’t explain it. I can’t connect his songs to any one specific memory in my life, but they feel familiar all the same.

So I painted my nails, opened the blinds and felt okay with the lethargic, non-productive route my day seemed to be on.

Sirius being bewitched.

Even Sirius couldn’t fight the overwhelming impulse to just stare outside and listen to the record player as it sent pretty melodies drifting through the room.

And I sat here thinking what a powerful spell of paralysis Sunday had put on me and how easily I gave in.

 

 

Now Playing: When I Fall in Love by Nat King Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment