Thursday, December 20, 2012

25 DofC Day 20: Maybe This Christmas I'll Be Motivated

Day 20
"Maybe This Christmas" by Ron Sexsmith



It’s difficult to become truly motivated and inspired if you’re a cynical person. For me, especially in a stuffy, corporate setting, I sometimes find it impossible. I mean, I don’t want to watch a dated video where the women are wearing scrunchies and the men have mullets because all I’m taking away from the video is strictly era-related observations. And I can’t help but be wildly aware of the deliberate usage of power words when the motivational attempt is being made.

But today, in a motivational-type class at work, I found myself surprisingly, well, motivated. I know. It’s totally out of character for me to find inspiration in that environment, but I think I was hit with this information at exactly the right time. And by someone who I’ve never met, which in a weird way made me more receptive to it. But mostly, it was because of the undeniable amount of ideals and situations that rang true to my own life.

Like the fact that I give in too much because I’d rather not argue about it. Which then makes me feel victimized. Which then makes me complain and wallow in negativity. Or the fact I get overwhelmed because not only am I dealing with situations I’ve allowed other people to put me in, but I’m also dealing with other people’s issues in general.

And this overload causes me to retreat to total brain candy. i.e. watching Youtube videos on how to properly care for your candles.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still watching those videos. I just felt, I don’t know, inspired to maybe read more. Or write more. Or at least Youtube something productive like how to play the ukulele.

So my Christmas gift to myself may very well be a backbone and a voice and 30 minutes of productivity each day.

It’s that or a wick-trimmer, which one candle-obsessed Youtuber says is essential in any candle care kit.

Tough decision, I know. (I mean, seriously. I kind of want that wick-trimmer. Scissors seem so barbaric after learning such a specific tool exists.)


No comments:

Post a Comment