Saturday, December 1, 2012

25 DofC Day 1: Valley Winter Songs & Panic Attacks


Day 1
“Valley Winter Song” by Fountains of Wayne



I’m welcoming December with mixed emotions. I have the tendency to neurotically over analyze things and dissect situations until I’m completely paralyzed by elaborate, nonexistent, thematically-influenced possibilities that are “worst case scenarios as seen on CSI.” And I don’t even watch “CSI.” But the first two minutes I seem to always catch after watching re-runs of “Big Bang Theory” have managed to perpetuate this dramatic assumption that young girls who live on their own get stalked and attacked and murdered.

What a fun way to start my “25 Days of Christmas” countdown, right? But this is what you’ll be getting from me. I mean, not necessarily just gloomy, awful posts about murder, but If I blog every day, I can’t not write about what I’m feeling. And lately, it’s kind of nervous. My natural, initial fear of living alone has been heightened by other weird happenings, but fortunately for me, my best friend is not at all over sensitive or dramatic and was able to combine efforts with my parents to calm me down.

It was collectively decided that I have to toughen up. I have to put creeps in their place and I can’t be scared of the world. And if all else fails, my dad will kick their ass.  (I mean, I’m still their only child.)

So now that it’s awkward, I wanted to share one of my favorite, most soothing holiday tunes with you. Let’s balance out the weird venting session the first half of this blog served as.

If you can forgive Fountains of Wayne for “Stacy’s Mom” and “Pretty Fly For A White Guy” then you can remain open minded.  I don’t use the word  “cozy” to describe songs very often, but when I do it’s because it’s genuinely how it makes me feel. Every time I hear this song, I see winter. It’s simple, sweet, and familiar. The melody is calming and somehow seems like home, and what’s more necessary during the holiday season than that?

So before we get too deep into the madness that is Christmas, let’s take a second to welcome December properly. For me, it’s not hiding beneath my covers like a scared little girl.

Hello, December.  

(Okay, alright, I may be writing this right now from beneath covers, but it’s only because it’s chilly in here and has nothing at all to do with fear!)

No comments:

Post a Comment